Exchange student in São Paulo

This week we are hearing about how Camilla Sunesen Rohde from 4th semester is doing at the university in São Paulo, where she is studying marketing. 
Camilla went to Brazil in January and is staying in an apartment down town São Paulo with her boyfriend. Besides studying, she practices volleyball and is about to start at handball. About studying at the university she says: It’s hard and takes a lot of time but I also know that it will be worth it. I can already see improvements both in my writing and speaking skills.“


- Describe a typical day:
A typical day for me, at least one of those where I have classes, I wake up at six in the morning and do whatever I have to do at home. Around seven I take the metro to the university which takes me about one hour. Then I have classes from eight until noon. Afterwards I have lunch at campus, study with my study group and head home. The rest of the day I normally just study, eat dinner and relax. When I have some extra free time I practice sports and explore the city.
- Are you going to travel around as well?
I don't think I'll travel so much since I also have to save money for the time in Rio de Janeiro. Normally the exchange program is just one semester but I'm doing three so it will cost me some extra. I might visit some of the other exchange students from my class back in Denmark.
- What do you miss most about Denmark?
Actually I don't miss so much yet. Of course I think of my family and friends but that's basically all for now.
- What do you like most about Brazil?
That must be the Brazilian people. I love how outgoing and spontaneous they are!
- What do you like least?
Right now I have an apartment in the very centre of São Paulo and even though I love how everything is so busy and crowded it has its down sights when it gets dark such as the violence and assaults. If you are just aware of this and keep a distance from it, you will be just fine.
- If you could give one advice for future exchange students in Brazil....
My best advice for future exchange students is to participate in everything you can, especially in the beginning where you try so hard to fit in and make new friends. Don't just keep to one group of people just because it feels good for the moment. I think it is very important to hang out with many different people and give them a chance to be your friend, they may surprise you.
Otherwise just be open-minded and try your best in classes. Keep trying and I promise you'll see improvements.



A huge thanks to Camilla for sharing her experiences in São Paulo, we are hoping to hear more from you, when you are moving to Rio de Janeiro later this year to study International Administration at Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro

Written by Christina E. Andersen-Stolberg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Porto-trip

New challenges

Visit to the European Commission in Brussels